Declan and Justin talk about why Catholics confess directly to priests and not privately like other denominations. They also provide their listeners with a handy Beginners Guide to Confession for anyone who’s never been to confession or haven’t gone in a long time.
Listen to the episode
- Where is there confession in the Bible?
- What are 5 ways that Catholics are better off because of confession?
- We seek forgiveness the was Jesus intended
- Takes humility to confess
- We obtain grace (aka superpowers)
- Assurance of forgiveness
- Priest gives you free advice
- The Beginners Guide to Confession
- Make the sign of the cross.
- “Bless me father for I have sinned. I’ve been away from confession for _____ days/months/years.”
- Say your sins in order of severity. Try to remember as much as you can.
- Listen to priest. He will give you advice and a penance.
- Say the Act of Contrition: “O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.”
- Priest will forgive you and might end with “Give thanks to the Lord for He is good.” And you respond, “For his mercy endures forever.”
- Satisfaction (Penance)