After a few weeks of “downtime” Declan and Justin are back at it talking about something important to them both: Prayer.
What exactly is prayer? How do Catholics pray? And is pray effective? All of these questions, and many more, are answered in this episode of MBFTR!
Listen to the Episode:
A brief Catholic definitions of prayer according to the CCC (PRAYER IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE):
- 2558 “Great is the mystery of the faith!” The Church professes this mystery in the Apostles’ Creed (Part One) and celebrates it in the sacramental liturgy (Part Two), so that the life of the faithful may be conformed to Christ in the Holy Spirit to the glory of God the Father (Part Three). This mystery, then, requires that the faithful believe in it, that they celebrate it, and that they live from it in a vital and personal relationship with the living and true God. This relationship is prayer.
- 2559: Humility is the foundation of prayer
- 2560: Whether we realize it or not, prayer is the encounter of God’s thirst with ours.
- 2561: Paradoxically our prayer of petition is a response to the plea of the living God
- 2562: According to Scripture, it is the heart that prays
- 2563: The heart is the dwelling-place where I am, where I live… It is the place of encounter, because as image of God we live in relation: it is the place of covenant.
- 2564: Christian prayer is a covenant relationship between God and man in Christ.
- 2565: Thus, the life of prayer is the habit of being in the presence of the thrice-holy God and in communion with him.
Three types of prayer:
Sources talked about in the episode: